Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"New Computer"

I got myself a "new" laptop today. Sounds like I am rolling in money and managed to get my hands on a pretty pink laptop. I have been salivating about the Dell pretty pink laptop for some time now - just drooling OK! In reality no moolah to get a new computer.
My current wonderful HP enterprise edition laptop has been slowing down for some weeks - web pages take ages to open, stuff go missing (because I cannot remember where I stored them) and all the frustrations of a fat over-weight laptop. Hero and I had been talking about getting the bigger HDD installed and maybe I would be able to run the laptop a lot faster. But we never do anything about it because we are lazy, inert folks or just trying to stretch our luck with the slowness and how much my patience will carry on. It was like this before Uncle Andrew passed away, and we still didn't do anything for over a month. This is my laptop but I have no idea how to maintain it. Everytime something happens, all Hero will hear is "what did you do to my laptop?" and his protestation: NOTHING!!
OK, so finally the laptop was so slow yesterday that it was incapable of doing anything. Run out of memory or space of whatever. No free bytes left for me so we bit the bullet and installed the new HDD. So that's how I got myself a "new" computer.
I spent my time today installing all the programs where I had the installation CDs. But I am not exactly very technically inclined, so a lot of times my voice would be going: finished! what do I do next? The instructions would be "click NEXT and follow the instructions till you get to finish!!"
Then when I get stuck and I have no idea what to do, and the computer tech guy is away, I start doing all sorts of other things and trying to get this "new" laptop to look and behave like the "old" laptop. I have some measure of success but I am still groping around trying to get all the bits of the jigsaw together.
Maybe in a couple of days I will get it all OK and my life will be back to normal.
.

No comments: