Monday, September 21, 2009

Bread Machine

 

Sometime ago, we bought a bread making machine from Carrefour under their own label called BLUESKY.  We had previously bought a 4 place setting tabletop dishwasher that worked wonderfully so we thought nothing of buying a bread making machine from them.

Today is a public holiday.  We were home in the afternoon when I decided that I should take that bread maker out of the cupboard and make ourselves some fresh bread from a package by Prima Flour - focaccia to be precise. 

Took out the machine and went - oh no!  I had lost the instruction book.  So I started to hunt down some instructions from the internet on how to start without a book.  I had to find out the maximum capacity for the bread pan.  After measuring water and it showed a 12 cup volume, I proceeded to add the proportion of water and olive oil and the bread mix and yeast to the pan.  I was so excited - in 3 hours we would have some fresh bread to munch on!!

The only thing that would have triggered this blackout would have been a new piece of equipment - the bread maker.  HH the resident engineer switched off the darned thing, started the mains and then I started the bread maker - PLOOP!  INSTANT DARKNESS AND STILLNESS IN THE APARTMENT FROM NO POWER!! We switched to another power point - same reaction.  We sighed, looked at each other and decided to head down to Carrefour to get our exchange or refund or whatever.
 
We drove to Carrefour at Suntec City and went to the Information Counter and queued.  When I got to the head of the line, I told the lady there my story of woe - how I was making bread and it just died on me.  I even showed them my bread maker with the focaccia mix in the pan, still warm from proofing and waiting to be baked.  The ladies behind the counter were truly amazed.  They then started looking for the bar code (because there weren't anymore in stock) and the price to arrange for a refund in vouchers.  I had forgotten how much I had paid for the bread maker and when I had bought it and whether I paid by credit card or by cash.  I didn't have the receipt for the item either!!

Anyway whilst they were hunting around for the information, HH and I went to Hans (the Hainanese cafe) to eat our dinner - that is worthy of another blog! - for dinner .

We went back to the counter after dinner and the customer service lady said that they would give me back vouchers equivalent to the price of the machine ($99.90) and could I let her have 10 cents so that she could give me $100 vouchers as a refund. HH and I took the vouchers and proceeded upstairs to look for a replacement bread maker.  There weren't any in stock so we bought an induction cooker for $39.90 from Home (another Carrefour brand) - the regular price being $99.90.  So we now get a test induction cooker at a reasonable price before we make the switch away from gas and hopefully cleaner cooking.


What's so good about buying from Carrefour???  Well, they have a one-to-one exchange for faulty appliances within one year of purchase with no questions asked. That's what I call good service with no hassle!
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great tip! Thanks!