Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cheater's fruit cake

I was hankering for some boozy fruit cake just before Christmas and wondered how I could get my grubby greedy fingers on some. I was too lazy and busy to bake anything. The thought of getting out the baking equipment was enough give me a migrane.
So I figured the cheater's way of getting some boozy fruit cake with minimal effort.
I headed to the supermaket and bought 2 boxes of Big Sister Fruit Cake - a light one and a dark one. Got home and cut them both in half. Put half a dark cake and half a light cake in a large plastic container. Then did the same for the other two halves.
Then the magic came out of the bottle. I poured brandy onto the top of both cakes into one box and some wonderful 12 year old premium scotch whisky into the other.
Warning - pour the booze on top so that it can drain to the bottom by gravity otherwise you get soggy cake with boozy flavour at the bottom and nothing on top!!
I covered the two boxes and marked them "brandy" and "whisky" and chucked them into the fridge to soak.
5 days later - VOILA! wonderful boozy fruit cake without the hard work.
.

No comments: